Thursday 15 December 2016

Flying out to have breakfast

For the past six years I have been assisting a group of aviators with their annual awards dinner. A group of men and women who are passionate about vintage aircraft. I design the menu, certificates etc. As a extravagant gesture of thanks they arranged a Saturday morning excursion to Mongena for me. We flew from Fly-Inn to Mongena, where we had breakfast. We flew over Cullinan on the way there. Wow. The mining area looks like the scorced earth, beyond it a clearing with the geometrically  constructed town and then it returns to wilderness, although the roads cuts an infinite scar through it. Saw zebra, eland, wildebeest, giraffe, hartebeest and all sorts of game. Soon after we flew out from Mongena we saw golden wildebeest. I have never seen them before and to be honest, I didn't even know they existed. It was exciting, it felt as though I had discovered a new species. I know, I am being dramatic. We stopped of at Kitty Hawk on and errand, about 10 minutes, then back to Fly-Inn. Ah no, over already. On the drive home Karl continued to tell me the most amazing stories. All-in-all a delightful experience.




The last time I had flown in a small aircraft was in Namibia, in the late 1970s, it was still South West Africa then. This flight brought back so many memories of the adventures and shenanigans we had there. Good and wicked times.

1 comment:

  1. Well Done Karl and thanks Sabine for your contributions to our EAA. Hartog Blok / Mossel Bay

    ReplyDelete