Tuesday 18 August 2015

The Buried Giant

It's taken me three weeks to read this book. The last 54 pages took me a week. I tried to read in bed, late at night but kept falling asleep. Eventually, one evening, as soon as I got home from work I ran a bath, lots of bubbles, and I soaked while I finished the book.

So, although I could guess how it would end I was hoping I would be wrong, but I was not. There was no happy ending. I cried: no, no, no! But, alas, the author showed me no mercy and had it his way.

"This country awakens so many memories, though each seems like some restless sparrow I know will flee any moment into the breeze."

"...and I know my god looks uneasily on our deeds of that day. Yet it's long past and the bones lie sheltered beneath a pleasant green carpet."

The Buried Giant © Kazuo Ishiguro 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment