Wednesday 8 August 2012

Gentle giant

This was one of the most awesome experiences I've had, although it was so long ago. We got to this waterhole in Botswana and there were hundreds of elephants, because of the drought this was the only place they could find water. You have no idea how close they were – I could have put my hand out and touched them. That evening I was woken by a sound, something was brushing against the sides of my tent. After some time I worked out that it was an elephant gently exploring the side of my tent with its trunk. You can imagine how much smaller you feel, how much bigger the elephant seems, when you're on your back, on the ground in a little cloth bag. I don't know how long I lay there, and after it moved away I still hesitated before I unzipped my tent and ran to the rondawel.


This pic was taken at the watering hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment