Monday 24 October 2011

Late afternoon

The dogs lie close by
one to the left, one on the right
the other at my feet
I look up at the space between the trees
and try to mix the colour
with paints and pigments in my mind
the hadeda drinks quietly at the bowl
a slight movement gets him noticed
the doves flutter in the trees
trying to keep their balance
in pairs, the white-eyes explore the shrubs
now a thrush bathes in the water bowl
all the planes leaving the airport
choose the same path north
an adventure for some, business for others
a mosquito screams in my ear
giving me ample warning
then strikes – shoulder, hand, thigh
the swallows are performing a ballet
way up high
it's so beautiful that you believe
you can heard the music
a car speeds by
a group of ladies walk
past my wall and laugh
my dog barks: quiet, please
the colour of the sky is changing
like magic – although I'm watching
I don't see it happening
a black-collared barbet comes to show
us a bright green thing in his beak
a butterfly flutters by
three spitfires fly in formation
two side-by-side, the other behind
the dogs wander inside
and settle in their baskets
the bats are out and about
there's a lot of traffic now
but I hear only the birds
saying good night, sleep tight
that plop sound is the frog
getting into the pool
so clumsy on land, hop, hop
such a graceful swimmer
ah, there – the evening star.

2 comments: