Tuesday 21 June 2011

just finished this book

page 10: I saw a real dead person. it was where i used to live, at the market in Kaneshie. An orange lady got hit by a trotro, nobody even saw it coming. I pretended like all the oranges rolling everywhere were her happy memories and they were looking for a new person to stick to so they didn’t get wasted.

page 26: Every time somebody shuts their door too hard my flat shakes. You can even feels it. When one person shuts a door everybody else feels it as well. It’s even brutal, it’s like you’re living in the same big house. You can pretend like it’s an earthquake. Mr Tomlin said an earthquake only happens in parts of the world where the rocks are too ticklish.

page 172: Papa held my belly up, I just had to kick my legs. It was even easy. I loved making waves. It felt like the waves were pulling us together so we wouldn’t get lost. Every time I thought I was going to fly away Papa just turned me around towards him and I was safe again. Asweh, the sea is even bigger than you can fit in your head. When I looked to the end of the sea it wasn’t even hutious anymore, it was like looking at the place where I came from. Every time one of the fishing men jumped in the sea he made another splash that added to ours. They didn’t stay apart like I thought they would, they all got mixed up like fingers in holding hands. They all became each other and the sea stretched back to the same shape it always was.

Copyright © 2011 by Stephen Kelman
Illustration © 2011 by Holly Macdonald

No comments:

Post a Comment